Friday, October 26, 2007

Continued...

Mangesh came and told me it was time to go sit by the pool and celebrate, so I came out, grabbed a sweater and sat out in our courtyard. Today was the longest day of the year I think – when we “fall back” is as much as I can understand.
It was incredible, I walked out of my office, into the courtyard which was illuminated by the moon. I don’t mean it was just lit up by the moon, it was sparkling, and the tree tops were all shining, and there was no need for any lights in the area. In fact Mangesh had turned off all the surrounding lights except for Manik and Mathuras house. And I just lay out there by the pool staring up at this bright, beautiful, full moon. You could vaguely hear the music from outside still playing (not as loud as earlier), and I just sat there in the peace. Mary T came and joined me, and then Mangesh came and sat with us. We talked about how you could see the stars in the city (how had I not noticed them before?), and about the celebration and how families all over the city would be sitting in their gardens too and enjoying the moonlight. When we finally decided it was time to move Mangesh was so sweet and told us he enjoyed tonight, and that we will remember it forever. There’s just something so sweet and innocent about life here in India that I love. Life here is holistic; the earth, religion, and human life are all tied in together.

No comments: