Sunday, January 27, 2008

Himalayas

I wrote this earlier - on day 3 of my trip to Nepal (so I can get a new Indian visa)

I'm sitting on the roof top of my hotel in Kathmandu, Nepal enjoying the view and warming up in the sunshine. The power has gone out again - same time everyday - yet it doesnt seem to slow anyone down.
I've been spending the week trying not to be too touristy - and to separate myself from all the trekkers - to no avail. It's practically impossible to do in Kathmandu where the main thing to do is wander down the winding streets and buy things. Sarah and I have spent some quality time in cafes drinking many pots of Nepali tea, eating incredible pastries (rare in india), and reading tons. I've gone through 2 books already and we're only halfway through the trip.
We spent a night in Nagarkot - a 2 hour drive into the Kathmandu Valley. It was a small, queit, gorgeous place. We spent an afternoon "sunbathing" in the garden with about 3 layers of clothing on. The problem with the incredible mountan views is that you're in the mountains! And that meant us being there on one of the coldest weeks of the year in Nepal. So needless to say we bundled up in 1/2 of our wardrobe and spent out days drinking tons of tea. The hotel had the best chai I've tasted in all my time in Asia...it was delicious!
We sat outside and revelled in the view of some very impressive looking mountains. From our room we had a panoramic view of the valley and mountains. Coming from Scarborough where the best view are the Scarborough bluffs it's been great to be in a place of such gorgeous landscapes. Even from up here on the roof I'm surrounded by mountains in the distance, other rooftop covered in laundry drying in the sun, and some old faded prayer flags.
It seems so wild to me to think that I left in May expecting to be in India for 4 months, and now I'm coming on 8! Twice as long as planned. And that I've been so lucky to have gone to Sri Lanka and now Nepal, its more than I ever imagined. It's been so interesting to see the different cultures - even if only for a week.
I'm getting excited to go back to India because my family comes in a week or so. It'll be great to show them where I live, and what I do, but more exciting to have them fall in love with the place I call home.
Things just see to keep looking up these days...
For those of you wondering if I'm ever coming home, I have booked a ticket for the end of April - but I don't know how I'm gonna pull myself away from here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Julie,

How are you?
Did your Mom & team reach Sangam??

Babi
Scarborough Gen Hospital, Canada

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Please visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vandenikhilam or u contect me at anurag_shree2004@hotmail.com we arrange one religious travling at Shri badrinath, Mana, Laxmi Van, Vasuki tal, sato panth, Swargarohini after 20 May 2009. We invite you to support us. we going here for tantra mantra special hidden sadhana yagna. waiting your reply. If u are true Adventure lover lady. reply me. please thanks Anurag