Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Essence of India

SO...
our first event - Essence of India started on Saturday and ends in just a few days!
It's been lots of fun to take people through the town, and watch them experience new things. Its been a big learning experience - and its been fun going through an event for the first time. I got to greet the first group who arrived at 4 am last weekend, which was good. Im constantly trying to remember what worked really well for me when I was getting the tours, and what questions I wanted answered to help the participants through it all.
The best part for me was shopping with them yesterday morning. We take them out to the older part of the city to Laxmi Road and take them to Kirti's a large sari shop. It was so much fun - when we went it was only 5 of us, this time there was 20 of us and the men who worked there had almost half of their merchandise on the floor, tables, desks to show us. It was awesome. Some of the people bought up to 7 or 8 saris/punjabis, etc. It was great. Then we took them through the market nearby and down line bazaar - a marketplace down a road selling everything you could ever want, and then to bangle alley :)
I think im gonna have trouble here though because I bought another sari - it was only 210 rupees (like 5 bucks) and a shirt, and an anklet...if I do these tours every other week and I go on my own I'm gonna need another suitcase! haha.
It's been really fun watching some of the girls/women get excited about the culture and adventure. They are up for anything, having a great time, and falling in love with this place like I did. It's too bad this event is only 7 days, I think I will want to keep the participants around after most events...

1 comment:

DL said...

i like the name essence of India...saris are fabulouso..you will fall in love with all the clothes, bindis, bangles again and again and again, i know i do everytime i get into one! There's no feeling like it really, its just plain and simple sexy....and 5 bucks, grrr...the last sari i bought in T.O. cost me well approx. $150 (and that doesn't incld. the pricing tailoring)...so holy bargains in India!
As always, your adventures make my heart smile, keep em coming creenmachine.ca
:)