Saturday, June 30, 2007

Night Out!!

Finally I went for a *much* needed night out :)
For all of you that know me well from home you'll be surprised to know I made it an entire month without going out for drinks and dancing! It had been too long since I had a good fun evening, so Christa and I went out and met up with Mary T who works here, and Soya (a past PA) and her boyfriend Deva who lives in Pune.
It was a fantastic evening! It's so fun to meet new people, share stories, and laugh so hard your cheeks are sore by the end of the evening. We went to this nice restaurant/bar called High Spirits in Koregan Park (the neighbourhood where the Osho Ashram is). It was really nice, we sat outside and got to enjoy the evening amid candle light, with lots of greenery around, and mother nature worked with us and it didn't rain until we left to come home.
It was great to get some distance from Sangam, since we haven't gone away enough and we start our next event "Holistic Living" tomorrow. Actually we only have one group here so far - the others were supposed to arrive in the early morning today but their flights kept getting delayed or cancelled. So currently one group is in Delhi and the other I think might be in Europe still. I guess this is a good taste of what to expect working in India during the monsoon...
We are already going into full monsoon prep here and ordering buses when we can to get around town because apparently it gets really hard to get rickshaws in this weather. Everyone keeps talking about the bridges being shut down - and the more they talk about it the crazier it seems! It hasnt been raining too intensely here - today was probably the first day of pretty constant rain, but then it was cleared up by around 5pm...the idea that things will start shutting down soon because of the over flowing rivers seems wild.
This event should be a lot of fun because theres a lot of stuff going on that is brand new to me. Some of the sessions include:

The laughter club (laughing yoga - which was on my to-do list so i'm super excited about it)
A holistic living panel discussion - where we're having professionals from 3 medical fields ; ayervadic medicine, naturopathy, and more modern medicine
A visit to the National Institute of Naturopathy - where I haven't been yet, so it should be fun
Bhuddist Meditation
A visit to the Osho Ashram - also where I havent been yet, and it's a big thing for Pune so that will be good
A cultural performance - a play

All of it should be lots of fun, but thinking of it all reminds me I need to go get some sleep so I can make it through the rest of the week!

ps- this is a picture of Babli all tucked in...our night watchman Mangesh is the *sweeeeetest* man in the world and he loves the dogs here like they're his own and he's always taking care of them and he tucked them into their new "beds" so I just had to take a picture

2 comments:

Unknown said...

heyy julie, delays because of bombings in london... that really could be part of the problem too. i miss you guys tons!!!
<3 nicki

Janique said...

Hi Julie,
I just wanted to thank you for a great week at Sangam! Please say hi to the others for me... and an extra hello to Mary T! Marcia and I got home safe and sound. I caught a bad flu somewhere between Delhi and Newfoundland and am feeling miserable!! The trip was worth it thougth!! Enjoy the rest of your time in Pune!
Janique