Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Solo Adventure


One of our tasks this week was the go on a solo adventure to an unknown spot in Pune - so we would get comfortable being on our own and feel the excitement of navigtaing ourselves around on our own.
My task actually had two locations because I was sick on the day of "Pune Challenge" when the girls wandered around town all day to a number of popular spots! My locations were Sarasbaug, and Parvati Hill.
So at about 4 oclock after Indian Siesta I wandered out got some change for the rickshaw rides and headed off to Sarasbaug. On the way there I got to sit back and enjoy a roomy rickshaw ride by myself instead of being crammed in between 2 other people which was a nice change. The driver took me a way through town I had never been before so after about 15 minutes of seeing nothing recognizable I got a little worried in the pit of my stomach, which is something that I've been working on getting over. It's not like I know anywhere much anyway, and even if I did know we were lost I couldnt communicate that or find my way home - so I am teaching myself to sit back and trust the rickshaw drivers, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!
When I got to Sarasbaug I was excited because I got dropped off on the road leading up to it and it was lined with carnival games, balloons, food stands, a tiny ferris wheel, etc. So I knew I was going to a fun place. I wandered down and walked into this massive park filled with people, a lot of families and people lounging in the sun.

When I openned up my package I found out it was a popular picnic spot for people and I had come at a good time with lots of sun to see it in full swing. In the middle of the park is a temple, and I went up and wandered around a bit. Sat there and did a little people watching, trying to get a hang of the customs and practices in the temples. Once again I am starting to get used to being stared at so often. It's a constant thing here - people will literally stick their heads out of cars to stare, not because I'm a girl or I think I'm pretty, but simply because I'm a foreigner. And since this was my first outing on my own I noticed it even more. Turns out our western culture teaches you that if you're being watched you should be fearful and worried, and so I spent a bit of time keeping that feeling in check as well. The best was a few girls who continuously walked past me giggling...haha, something to get used to thats for sure!

So after spending some time hanging out in the park I made my way back to the main road and got another rickshaw to Parvati Hill nearby. This place is amazing! It has a temple on the top of a hill, and these giant stairs leading the whole way up. The stairs are really long - like 8-10 feet long because they used to make a processional on elephants for celebrations up the steps and they needed to be large enough for the elephants! I loved it. So you wander up these steps and as you go up you can look out onto the whole city. It was incredible. At the top of the hill are a number of different temples, I went to 3 of them but there are at least one or two more, and there's also a museum. It was fun to wander around on my own and soak in the city, the history, and the beautiful day. I was lucky to take the trip on a clear day so I could see all the way out to the horizon.

One of the great things about both of the locations was that you are usually in the loud hustle and bustle of the city, with constant honking and the noise of rickshaws. But once you step inside some of these places everything seems to go away and it's so peaceful. Parvati Hill was defenitely calm and quiet.
I think this was by far my best day yet, I got to check out two places that were very much my style (looks like my manager is getting me), and I got the chance to chill out and enjoy it all on my own. It was empowering to get to keep wandering around having adventures and managing it on my own.
On the way back I hopped in a rickshaw with a driver who obviously was confused where I was heading, but I went with it. At one point I realised he was lost, so I navigated him to the bridge I knew that leads over to my side of the city, and from there could navigate my way home - about 15 min drive down the road. That was a good moment! Now I know no matter what if I can get the driver to this location I will get home in one piece :) it's really comforting to start to feel capable of getting around, and exciting to be recognising the places I've been and start making this place home.

No comments: