Saturday, June 9, 2007

Graduation Day

This post is to assure everyone I am okay and being well taken care of here...I am been adopted into a great little family here at Sangam (the world centre) and this story is evidence of that!

So as most of you know I graduated on June 6th (yay!), but because I am in India I had to miss it...or so I thought.... :)
Turns out I had mentioned it to the right people, and my fellow volunteers and staff here at Sangam took the initiative to make my day!!
Right before dinner everyone was called into the Hall (our main conference area) and I was left in the lounge to be blindfolded and then dressed up. I walked into the Hall, they took off my blindfold and I saw everyone sitting in a row, waving Canada flags! There were red and white balloons and everything to celebrate the day. They had also dressed me up in a gown, with the scarf/collar thing, and a hat with a ribbon to move like the graduation cap.
I was seated next to my "mom" and "dad", my manager CL and her fiancee played house for my graduation and we all listened as I was awarded my degree (pictures will be up tonight), and we listened to my valedictorian speech: the "wear sunscreen" song from back in the day.
It was A-MAZING.
We followed it up with group pictures, champagne, and my favourite meal...PASTA!
It was so incredible, and so unexpected...so for anyone concerned about me being all the way over here missing out on things at home, don't worry I get to recreate everything, and have a little more fun with it! I did miss being able to be in pictures with everyone from home, but maybe WE can play dress up when I get back and re-enact it again! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my god Julie... that is AMAZING... when you told me about this, I could not even begin to expect something so elaborate... thats awesome! I love the diploma... in Toronto, the State of Canada in the USA hahaha

DL said...

BUdddyyyy!!!!! That makes my heart smile:) I am sooo glad you had a wonderful convocation in the motherland! You are totally in great hands
xoxoxox